Friday 19 August 2011

Results day haul - Oh how I love girly crap.

So to treat myself after my results, this is what I bought from Superdrug today!


I'll go through them (minus the shampoo, which FYI is John Freida's Tone Correcting shampoo for blondes: I want my hair blonde, not golden retriever yellow. As much as I love retrievers.) all in more detail below.


Nail Polishes

First off, this Miss Sporty one. Part of the Clubbing Colours collection (bit of alliteration for you there), it doesn't have an official colour name which is really stupid because that's one of the best bits about nail polish! Well maybe not, but OPI have some pretty fun names. From the bottle this one seems to be a very pretty light gold with a nice amount of shimmer in - not enough to make it overly metallic. This was £1.99 by itself, or £2.99 for two from the same collection. Which is an offer I took full advantage of.



This is another one in the Miss Sporty offer. This is completely different in real life - it's much darker and much greener, a very jade type of green. I got this because I thought it was quite unique, I've not really seen anything like it and also it'll look gorgeous with the gold! It's not a creme, it has a very, very slight shimmer to it although it was too small to capture on camera, I'll try when I wear it in the sunlight.



This one was only £1 - bargain! It's by Makeup Academy, not a brand I've come across before but I thought sod it, can't go wrong for a quid. I'm on the hunt for a Tiffany blue, and I really don't want to pay for China Glaze's For Audrey because I'm far too cheap, but this one's actually surprisingly close! It's a little too green in the sunlight, but in artificial light it's much closer.



I also got this one, which is one I've been after for a while. It's by Rimmel, is called Your Majesty and is basically a really metallic silver. I'm wearing it now, so I'll do a post on it tomorrow and give you a full review. It's gorgeous though, really chuffed I got it because normally I wouldn't have chosen it, but this blog post here (which incidentally made me buy Pulsating too) persuaded me. It was only £2.99, so you can't go wrong really.



Next there's this Barry M Red Glitter one - it's another one I've been after for a while. I've seen it on a few blogs and it looks amazing on - very Dorothy's slippers! Looking forward to trying it very much. Barry M are probably my favourite brand for nails, they always seem to have great formulas and are bang on trend with their colours (Dusky Mauve/Chanel Paradoxal anyone?), although I do with they'd experiment a little more with different finishes - they seem to do a lot of cremes which are boooooring!



Sleek Palette

Ah, the Sleek Palette. I admit it, I am a Sleek virgin. I've heard lots of great things about them but just have never got round to trying them, I'm more of a mascara/eyeliner kinda girl, I don't really wear eyeshadow. However, I have had my eye on the UD Naked Palette for a while, but thought I better try a cheaper, similar version before forking out £35-odd for a palette I may not even use. Rational thinking, how boring. So anyway, I thought I would listen to all the good advice from the ladies on Cosmopolitan.com and on Makeup Alley, and try the i-divine Storm palette, which is quite neutral and smoky (see photos below).
The first thing I was impressed with was the packaging. For £6.29 or however much I paid for it (so accurate, I know) it feels quite high quality - it comes on a little cardboard box to protect the case, and the case is also really good. It's very solid plastic with a decent - albeit slightly stiff - clasp on so you know it won't open in your bag. It has a matte finish with 'Sleek' on in glossy letters. I tried to get this in a photo, but it was quite hard! Inside is a big mirror so you can fix your make up on the go, and it comes with the obligatory but pretty rubbish eyeshadow applicator.


I've swatched the colours for you below - sorry they're not particularly good photos, my photography skills aren't up to much. My first impression of these shades was that there was a nice mix of light and dark - if I do wear eyeshadow I like it to be quite smoky so this provided me with more than enough different colours. I also like how there's a mixture of matt and shimmery shades, and the shimmery/glittery ones only have very fine glitter so rather than looking sparkly, it appears metallic and glossy. These colours are very pigmented, I was seriously impressed. You only need a tiny little bit of each to cover the whole eyelid, and it also spreads and blends well which is good for using more than one colour at a time (which you should be doing - blend, shade, highlight and contour those peepers, people!). They are very soft though, so put too much pressure on he palette or drop it and ka-boom. My favourite shades are probably the really pale gold (top row, second in) and the gunmetal just below it - they're both very metallic and from what I've seen in my short play-session, they go well together. I'd like to try the two pink/cranberry shades (top row, last two - how I WISH they'd give the colours names!) but don't know how well they'll go with my cool pink colouring. Cross your fingers for me!



Right I'm going to bed now because I'm shattered, I'll give you two NOTDs tomorrow cause I'm lovely to you people. I'll have a proper play with these eyeshadows later in the week, hope you enjoyed this post cause it took me forever to write!



3 comments:

  1. amazing colors

    xx

    skadiida.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That MUA polish is a gorgeous colour! Brilliant for just £1 ~ Definitely my favourite of the bunch :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sleek :) Love your blog, I'm following now :) Feel free to check out mine and enter my free MAC cosmetics giveaway!

    Laura x
    Petit Chatons

    ReplyDelete

Hellooo, be nice please :)